Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Rollin’, rollin’ rollin’…

Written on August 7, 2006
If you had told me yesterday that it was going to be even hotter today I would have packed up overnight and moved to the North Pole. Now it’s too hot to move so I may as well stay around and tough it out. It didn't really cool down that much last night so by 10 this morning it was just as hot as it was yesterday at 2 pm. It’s another bra and undie day for me and Keenan’s decked out in just a diaper.

I forgot to mention it in my last post but yesterday Keenan mastered the art of rolling over flat onto his stomach. Yup, he figured out how to get his arm from underneath him. Today he can pull up his knees and get his butt straight up in the air. That’s right. Them’s there are the first signs of crawling! It’s all still a huge struggle for him and he grunts, farts, cries out and gets boogers and drool all over his sheets in the process. His neck is not quite strong enough for him to keep his head off the mattress so he gets terribly frustrated once he gets himself rolled over. He doesn’t even enjoy being rolled over once he gets there! It’s just such an instinctual step in the process of learning to walk. I wonder what’s going thru his mind as he’s struggling with his little nose smunched into the bed…”what the hell am I doing this for?”, ”boobies are way better than this”, “what are my legs doing, why is my bum in the air?”. The worst part of it for me is that I’m worried to death he’s gonna choke or suffocate so I have to put these baby bookends (rolled up blankets) on either side of him while he’s on his back or side to keep him from rolling onto his stomach unsupervised. He gets truly pissed at me for doing this so I indulge him in his rolling instincts every couple of hours usually when I’m having a meal or snack. It’s a weird thing sitting in the rocking chair watching our 3 month old struggle onto his front while I’m having sushi bento or my morning coffee. All in the name of progress I guess!

No comments: